Friday, January 31, 2014

I've been back from my trip to Manhattan (and Brooklyn) for a few days and I don't want to lie... it wasn't a resounding success. I hesitated on whether to admit my trip didn't go perfectly but I think most of us have had trips that didn't go quite as planned. Traveling can be stressful and it can be hard to not bring your stresses from home with you on a trip, especially when they are fresh in your memory. I had a setback the day I was scheduled to leave and I went back and forth that night on whether I should go or not but ultimately I decided to go. In the end I'm glad I went but I've learned a few valuable lessons for any future trips, like perhaps traveling to only warmer climates in the dead of Winter lol. It felt like it was -5degrees the first day I was there, my legs took hours to warm up. I also realized that I don't like sharing rooms with friends or family (Jason is different but he had to work and couldn't go). I'm the type of person who needs my alone time and that was almost impossible to manage on a tight budget and in a small hotel room. I also realized that I'm not the easiest person to travel with and I really would have been happiest if I had taken the trip alone. I've always been scared at the idea of taking a trip by myself but I know now that I would be more than fine on my own but anyway, I wanted to share some of the details and pictures from my trip.




The first day was spent briefly in Times Square and then over to see this gorgeous library (and to thaw my frozen appendages) at Jefferson Market. Followed by shopping on Bleecker Street where I bought candy, cupcakes, cds, toys, and lunch. Everyone was really friendly and accommodating at the various shops. 


It is weird to spend so much time wishing it was even closer to 30 degrees because the cold made it so I pretty much buried my head in my coat and rushed from place to place.


The second day was almost completely devoted to traveling to Brooklyn to see one of my favorite bands, Trust, perform. Seeing Trust was actually the reason I went to New York, I found out about the show only a month prior and was scrambling to get money together for it. Trust was awesome and did not disappoint at all, I only wish my pictures had turned out better, this was the best one. The funny thing too is that now that I've been home for a few days, they've announced more dates for their upcoming tour and will be in my area in April. Yes, I am going to that too.

I decided to take an earlier bus home on Saturday but had enough time to stop at a few places, including The Strand bookstore and Forbidden Planet! I highly recommend a visit if you find yourself in the area. Another few places I recommend are Books of Wonder, Amy's Bread, Generation Records, Rebel Rebel Records, and probably others I am forgetting.



I didn't take as many pictures as I had hoped I would and I didn't get to see all the places I wanted to see... can you believe I've still never set foot inside a New York museum or Central Park?! I might potentially go back for FFFWeek in June but time shall tell.



4 comments :

welldressedmaker said...

Awww so sorry it wasn't like you planned it would be. But I'm glad you're keeping positive and taking it as a learning opportunity for the next time your travel! I hate sharing rooms except with my husband, and I'm a pretty irritable traveler too, especially when moving vehicles are involves... so all the time! haha. Still-- you got some great shots of the city!

Unknown said...

@Laura - It's okay, it was still an experience I wouldn't trade. I'm glad I'm not alone in being a little particular about traveling - I felt like I was being high maintenance but I really don't like sharing rooms/bathrooms with people and I need my alone time. Yes about moving vehicles, road trips can be fun but being stuck in a vehicle for a long time is roooughhh. Thanks, I wish I had taken more pictures, I always wish that.

<3Rachel

Thick Threads said...

omg! I am going to new york this year! Headed there on june 30th! im so excited! this post is making me even more excited. I grew up in the states but moved to vienna like 8 years ago to live and study here (family, european background, everyone moved so i did too) but i havent had the cash to visit the states the whole time I've lived here, and finally my boyfriend and I are going to make a trip to the states! it's going to be his first time ever in the states and I'm gonna be so happy to eat all the good food i missed! Can you give me some tips on where to go? and where to shop? I'd appreciate any places you could suggest for us. We have already done a lot of research and have a never ending list of things to see, but I'd love to hear your suggestions! :)

xx
Anita

Unknown said...

@Anita - I'm so sorry I missed this comment, I literally just saw it. I hope you had a fantastic time in New York City! I didn't know you grew up in the states, what state did you grow up in?

Powered by Blogger.
Follow Honeysuck~elle