Friday, April 19, 2013
Hey there, so has anyone else heard of these Me-Ality booths? Basically it is a booth that you step into and in 10 seconds it takes your measurements and gives you fit/size advice based on your predetermined measurements at different stores. I first heard about it on facebook and after finding out that they had one in my local mall I decided to head over there to try it out. It was a super easy process, you just register with your email and then step inside to get measured and afterwards it prints out a little receipt with a barcode that the attendant scans and then it gives you a list of suggestions of clothing from different brands within your mall. 



Well, it didn't really work for me (it literally did not have a single suggestion for me) because the stores they worked with at my mall, such as Banana Republic and Levi Jeans (which oddly enough is not at my mall) don't carry my size since I wear over a size 16. I wasn't really bothered by it at the time but as I've let it marinate it does sort of bug me because I mean more stores should cater to more clientele and also there was a part of me that missed my size 16 and smaller days. Even when I did wear a size 14/16 I had trouble with jeans/pants/button up tops because I am larger in my bust and hip/thigh area. I think it is a super cool idea, I just think we plus sized ladies could not only use more stores/brands to choose from but also are consistently faced with size differences from brand to brand, I literally have things in my wardrobe that are 5 different sizes which makes shopping more of a chore then it need be.

It took a good day (no clue why) for my email with a link to my profile (which you need to then set up your password) to come over for me-ality.com but from there it gave me some actual suggestions but again, because of my size, only linked me to a few suggestions from Torrid and Lane Bryant. I like shopping at Torrid and Lane Bryant, Torrid more so than Lane Bryant, however I wasn't really impressed by their sizing suggestions... I have been shopping at Torrid long enough to know my size by now and all of their suggestions were way bigger than I wear and when I have tried on the size they suggested to me it was not flattering and hung very loosely. Not only that but in terms of their suggestions, I had one jean suggestion from Torrid and no suggestions for pants or dresses (or intimates but I figured as much since I am currently a 40H) which are usually the things that are the toughest for me to find the ideal fit. 

It is endlessly frustrating feeling limited and left out and it is a bit annoying being told to wear a size in tops and skirts that I know is too big for me. I really wish sizing was more standardized so we didn't have to run into the massive size differences but I suppose with trial and error we find out what brands flatter our unique figure and which don't. So I say, try out the me-ality booth for yourself and report back, I hope you have a better experience than I did.

4 comments :

Courtney Erin said...

It sounds like a real cool idea in theory but that there's a lot lacking in the way it's actually executed. I'm sorry it didn't work for you -- I should see if there's one in my area so I can try it out and let you know if it works for me (I have weird measurements - large bust but than smaller in other places so standard sizing, especially in tops and dresses, is always a bit wonky for me).

Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

Thick Threads said...

Sounds to me like this is still very Beta...I think its ridiculous that they completely ignored the Plus size fashion industry in this... Shopping really has gotten to be way more of a chore than it should be. I hope this gets better. You should send them this post as a complaint about their service.

xx
Anita

Unknown said...

@Courtney Erin

That is exactly how I felt about it, a good idea in theory but they need to work on their execution. It's okay, I was bothered by it for a little bit but meh. Let me know how it works out for you if you try it! I'm a wonky size and quite large so I figured it wouldn't work for me but it was worth a try.

<3Rachel

Unknown said...

@Thick Threads

I think so too, I think with time it will be a pretty cool feature. I agree too that it is ridiculous to completely ignore any demographic! I am especially fed up with it almost always being us plus sized ladies :( It never really made sense to me, I mean the fashion industry treats plus sized women like they should be covered up but how are we suppose to do that with very little clothing options to choose from? Urgshjds, freakin hate all the hoopla. I should send them a link to this review. I sincerely hope things get better with their service and the industry for plus size women in general.

<3Rachel

Powered by Blogger.
Follow Honeysuck~elle